I think my favorite subject, other than shoes, has to be makeup.
I absolutely love everything about make up. I play with my make up everyday. I of course have my go to make up routine, but sometimes I play with colors, glitter, eye liners, lipsticks, maybe it is because it makes me feel like a kid again…I do not know if I ever played with my mothers make up or not. I cannot remember.
When I moved to France in December, I remember moving out of my apartment and all of my makeup fit into a shoe box, that is the sheer amount of make up I own.
For those people who do not know a lot about make up or are not sure what to get, let me help you.
First of all, if you are completely new at wearing make up, that is okay…let me discuss with you the kinds of make up there are while I discuss the tips.
1. First you have your primer for your face. This is before your concealer, literally before you put anything on your face. This is actually essential for people who wear make up. It helps keep the foundation, eye colors, etc. on your face. Most women who wear make up wear primer. I suggest you get a good quality primer, for example Lancome. Is it expensive? a little…but if you invest money in make up, this is essential.
2. Concealer is the next thing I put on. It is basically like a cover up. If you’re like me, you may have a little bit of a reddish tone to your face that you want to get rid of, or maybe you have freckles you do not want to be noticed? Trust me, I have both, it is a pain. So here is where concealer comes in. Most cosmetic companies will have 3 kinds of concealer; yellow, blue, green and flesh tones. I know what you are probably thinking…yellow, blue and green!? Yes…and here is why; people who have purple tones or other darkness on their skin should use yellow concealer because they’re complimentary colors, therefore they will cancel each other out. Have under eye circles because you did not sleep last night? Grab some yellow concealer. For people who have had a little bit too much fun rolling around in a tanning bed and you look as orange as a carrot, or Nacho Doritos, you need some blue concealer…because once again they are complimentary colors and the blue will help neutralize the color of your skin, however, it will not help your hands, neck, legs, torso and feet. For those like me who have unwanted redness on their skin, you need green concealer.
3. Now it is time for foundation. If you have been following my blog, you know that there are a few kinds of foundation…powder, liquid, cream, etc. I personally use a cream foundation because it covers my freckles better. However, whatever you feel most comfortable wearing, I would go with that. However, you can ALWAYS change your foundation. But here is what you want to remember, make sure it matches your skin tone! Sometimes it takes a few tries before you find the right one. If you are completely unsure and have never used make up or foundation, I suggest you may want to go to either the Macy’s cosmetics counter, or Sephora, or wherever there is a counter where someone can help you find a color that will look good on you. I do not recommend going to Walmart or RiteAid and grabbing 2 bottles and hoping one of them matches. When you apply foundation make sure you know the cardinal rule, BLEND BLEND BLEND! Nobody want’s a streaky, foundation face. Powder is easier to blend than creme, and creme is easy to blend than liquid. However, you need to blend your foundation properly, especially under the jaw line. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen women who have a foundation line on their jaw line because they forgot to blend. Also make sure you have enough to cover your concealer that you put on.
4. Some people might skip this step but I do not. The next step in my beauty routine is my bronzer. I have a small container of pressed bronzer. I just take a big fluffy brush and apply it like a rouge or blush. Bronzer will also help if you want to highlight cheekbones. My bronzer has a hint of gold which when the light hits it, it makes your face glow, it is pretty cool. Make sure to keep in mind that you do not overdose on bronzer..because then your face will be a completely different color than your entire body.
5. I personally do not use blush or rouge…I already have naturally red cheeks that I cover up, I do not need anymore than I already have. However, with blush, make sure you know that less is MORE. Suck in your cheeks so you know where blush is supposed to go. It is supposed to create the illusion that you have rosy cheeks, however, if you do not apply it to the right area, you will not look like you have rosy cheeks. That is really the only advice I can give you on this topic.
6. Eyes are next! My favorite part! I usually wear a smoky eye everyday. I have very dark brown, almost black eyes, so I actually wear brown and black eye shadow. I know that it is technically not what I am supposed to wear to bring out my natural eye color, but I have played with my fair share of makeup and this is how I feel I look the best in, and that is all that really matters…if you’re comfortable and confident in the make up you are wearing, it is nobody else’s business. My first color is a chocolate brown that I apply to the first part of my eye. I actually do not go very high up on my eyelid and you will see why. My next step is black eye shadow, which I blend into a little bit of the brown shadow. I do not use a lot of black because it is not needed. I apply the black shadow to the crease of my eyelid and blend outwards towards my ear, however I do not go past the end of my eye. The top color I use a lighter brown with a little bit of shimmer just to even things out a little bit. I can also lighten the black with this brown if need be.
7. Eye liner is definitely a close second in my favorite make up products. I use two different kinds. The top is a liquid eyeliner because it is easier to make a cat eye with liquid. On the bottom I use a gel pencil. I find that the gel pencil gives me a better line than the liquid on the bottom…I just do not like how liquid liner on the bottom looks…but that is just me.
8. Mascara is important for those who do not have long thick eyelashes. However If you look at my favorite product of the week video (I think it is week 3?) I talk about my mascara routine and how much I hate mascara companies. Anyway, I use Femme Couture Mascara, in jet black. It is a thickening and lengthening formula, although I think its a bunch of crap…but I use it anyway. I start at the base of my lashes and apply straight out. I do not zigzag my brush, and if you look at my Favorite product of the week video on my mascara, you will understand why.
9. Lipstick is my last item…right now I just started the best lipstick I have ever bought, which should be of big surprise because I just started wearing lipstick about 3 months ago…I know right?! Anyway, I am here in France so of course I am going to buy a French lipstick brand…I am currently wearing Dior #985. Just a helpful hint that I have noticed, The closer to #999 you get, the more red (and I mean candy apple, fire engine red) you get. Make sure whatever lipstick you’re wearing for the day you bring with you…it wears off quickly so you will need to reapply a few times during the day.
I hope these tips help!!