Even though there are about a million and one kinds of scarves, they all have the same basic purposes…one being to keep you warm, and the other as an accessory. Let’s talk a little bit about the scarf and its versatility.
Here are the top seven reasons why scarves are the best and most versatile accessory that you MUST have in your wardrobe.
1. Pop of color or pattern: If you are wearing a monochromatic outfit like winter white, or even all black, a bright colored or patterned scarf will bright up the colors around your face and make not make your outfit look so “one-toned”. Although, monochromatic outfits are in for year, you might not have been wanting to achieve this look.
2. Stain remover: Stained your favorite shirt while eating something? It happens to the best of us! Well, don’t throw your shirt away yet! Here are a two questions you should ask yourself: 1. Can a scarf cover the stain? 2. Can the shirt hold a scarf? (meaning, is the shirt too detailed already, that adding a scarf would just take away from the already intriguing shirt.)
3. Warmth: If you have a pea coat for the winter you may notice that a lot of your neck is exposed. Adding a scarf will add color and texture to your winter outer wear.
4. Texture: Even if it is not winter just yet, spring and summer are great times to wear a scarf; it is still on the cold side, but you may not need a jacket. Scarves and sweaters are like peanut butter and jelly, it just goes and nobody knows why. If you have a solid sweater, go for a patterned scarf, and vice versa. If you want you can also get a knitted scarf which will add interesting texture which will bring attention close to your face.
5. Umbrella: It’s pouring out and you forgot your umbrella; no need to fear, you have scarf. Drape the scarf over your hair, right at the hair line and either tie it or wrap it around your neck to keep it secure. Your scarf my be wet, but you will not look like a drowned rat.
6. Fun: Do you know how many different ways you can tie a scarf? I do not know the answer but I can tell you it is a lot! Each way you can tie a scarf will give your outfit different interest, so definitely play it up!
7. Cover-up: Have too much cleavage for the event you are going to? Grab a scarf to cover it up so your grandmother does not tell you to “hike” your shirt up.
No matter what the occasion, you can almost always wear a scarf, as long as you wear it properly and with the right outfit. Make sure you have plenty of different scarves. Varying lengths, thicknesses, textures, and fabrics will assure you that you will have a scarf for every outfit.