I absolutely love “hacks”.
For those of you who do not know, a “hack” is a tip to make your life easier. I have a few of these up my sleeve, but for fashion.
These are great tips for not just fashion lovers, but for people who just want to make their lives a little easier.
1. Is your jean zipper sticky and will not zip? Take a No.2 pencil, and rub the lead on both sides of the zipper. Now you do not need to buy another pair of pants or get the zipper replaced. You may have to do this as the lead wears out, so pay attention.
2. Okay moms of young kids, I am about to make your life possibly a lot easier. Especially for boys, they do not want to spend a day shopping for clothes for school, or maybe you are in a time crunch and you do not have time to try EVERYTHING on. Well, if your child finds a pair of pants they like, have them wrap the waistline of the jeans around their neck. The jeans/pants will fit properly if the corners of the jeans connect. If they overlap too much, they will be too big in the waist, if they do not touch at all, they will be too small in the waist. **side note** this usually works well with kids, however it works with grown men and women too, however, women have more factors to take into consideration when buying pants (hips, thighs, buttocks) and therefore, this is just a way to make sure the waist will fit.
3. If you are anything like me, you can’t stand when it’s time to wash your jeans. They get all tight, and they don’t fit right until you walk around for a bit. Well, now you can hold off a little longer on washing those jeans. Pop the jeans in the freezer for about an hour to an hour and a half. Surprisingly, this freshens the smell of your jeans. However, at some point you will need to wash them with soap.
4. So you got oil on your favorite shirt. No need to fear, immediately put baby powder on it and leave it overnight. After it has sat overnight, wash it as normal. *voila!*
5. Suede is an awesome fabric, and it is great for a pair of shoes, but they get dirty! You could go with the special dirt cleaner from the manufacturer, or you could take a piece of stale bread crust. It is hard enough to chip away at the mud you walked in earlier, but it should not scratch the suede. *side note* this does not take out salt and rain rings on suede, you will need professional products for that.
6. Leather is another amazing fabric. It allows you to breathe, unlike synthetic materials. However, walking in rain and salt covered streets will wear the leather and give you those ugly rings. Use a mixture of cold water and vinegar (2:1 ratio) and put it in a spray bottle, then scrub off the rain rings. The spray will make sure you do not put too much spray on your shoes. **side note** this works on leather, I have not found this true for suede.
7. Everyone loves a good glass of wine…except me…I like bubbles, I’ll take champagne. Anyway. Someone bumps into you at a part and a little of your red wine got on your blouse..pour some white wine on it to contradict and you can try to pat it dry, or you can go home and put it in the wash. Another good way to get red wine out of a shirt is seltzer water. Put some seltzer on a towel and pat the stain.
8. Crunched for time and you haven’t had time to iron your shirt? No need to fear, shower with your shirt! Hang your shirt in the bathroom while you take a hot shower and it will take most of the wrinkles out of it, as you will essentially be steaming the shirt. This will not work if you take cold showers.
I hope these tips will make your life just a bit easier!